News Updates from Outside Sources
- Protect yourself on deadly diseases and prevent cancer. Stay up to date on immunizations, screening exams for specific types of cancer [e.g., colorectal cancer screening for men and women, and breast and cervical cancer screening for women], and screening blood tests for conditions such as diabetes and HIV.
- Be active. Regular exercise is very important for healthy mind and body. Current recommendations call for 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise [or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. You can also include activity doing daily lifestyle chores. Park your car at the far end of the parking lot rather than the spot closest to the door. Take the stairs up to the second floor rather than riding the elevator. Walk with dog or play with kids.
- Stop smoking. Don’t use tobacco, which is the most important preventable cause of early disease and death. If you currently use tobacco, try to quit, he stressed.
- Eat healthy. Good nutrition also plays a major role in a long and healthy life. Eat a variety of food. Include at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. Avoid high calorie food and eat more protein rich foods.
- Relax your mind and body. Mind relaxation is very important for healthy body. Practice meditation, yoga or Tai chi to control mind and release stress. Stress free minds can make better choices about all aspects of life.